Monday, January 4, 2010

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM


The first time I watched this film was in late 2007 and I thought it was cleverly photographed, visually disturbing, brutally honest, and an unsettling ending. This is the kind of film that everyone dealing with a loved one that is a substance abuser needs to see.

Darren Aronofsky's story of 4 people and their downward spiral into drug addiction really hit me the second time around I watched this film on blu-ray disk. Jarod Leto, Jennifer Connelly, & Marlon Wayans were brilliant, but I felt NO sympathy whatsoever for the choices their characters made or the end result of their actions. They deserved what they got.

However, Ellen Burstyn's magnificent performance of Sara Goldfarb's loneliness, despair, and self-destruction was absolutely heartbreaking to watch. To see her "broken, a shell of who she once was" towards the end of the film left me in tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments will be reviewed